The Division of Systems Biology focuses on the development and evaluation of new technologies and the identification of new biomarkers (disease indicators) to support the FDA’s mission. The division’s mission is to address problems of food, drug, and medical-product safety using systems biology approaches and innovative technology that include computational modeling and impactful clinical translation of the data.
- Agilent Seahorse XFe96 – measures the oxygen consumption rate (OCR) and extracellular acidification rate (ECAR) of live cells in a 96-well plate format
- Protein Simple—Wes – Simple Western size-based assays: Immunoassay and Total Protein assay
- Protein Simple—Ella – Automated immunoassay testing within a microfluidic Simple Plex™ cartridge
- Axion Maestro Pro – multiwell microelectrode array (MEA)
- Agilent ePacer – easy and effective way to produce functionally mature hiPSC cardiomyocytes
- Bruker ScimaX FTMS – high resolution mass spectrometer used for sample tissue imaging based on chemical composition
- Bruker ultrafleXtreme MALDI TOF/TOF Mass Spectrometer – chemical composition and tissue imaging
- Bruker 600 MHz NMR – Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer system used for determining chemical composition of biofluids and tissue extracts
- Thermo Orbitap Elite MS with Waters nanoflow UPLC – Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry system used for analysis of proteins and peptides in tissues and biofluids
- Thermo Orbitrap Exploris 240 Mass Spectrometer – Used for determining drug and metabolite composition of biofluids and tissue extracts
- Waters TQ-XS MS – Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry instrument for determining drug and metabolite composition of biofluids and tissue extracts
- Matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization imaging mass spectrometry (MALDI IMS)
- Liver-on-a-chip technology for drug induced liver injury (DILI) assessment
All potential use of NCTR equipment must be aligned with NCTR’s mission and may require a technology transfer agreement:
NCTR conducts scientific research to generate data for FDA decision making, and develops and supports innovative tools and approaches that FDA uses to protect and promote individual and public health.